Marijuana Industry & Careers Overview
Sorry, class is either full or not currently offered—join our waitlist to be notified by email when it's available again!Notify me!
This 6-hour workshop will include tips and strategies for navigating your way into the new and fast-growing legal marijuana industry, whether you are interested in working for others or want to participate as an investor or owner.
Workshop topics will include:
- An overview of the marijuana industry and the issues it faces, both today and in the future
- An analysis of current regulations in MA for medical and adult-use licenses
- Considerations for investing in and/or working in the industry (including the careers available and the requirements for each position)
- An overview of capital requirements to compete in the industry
- Personal skills and attributes required for success
- The unique challenges faced by an owner/operator in this industry in areas such as banking, insurance, community and government relations
- A review of compliance and security considerations
- Important factors for running a successful, licensed retail, cultivation and manufacturing operation
You’ll learn how to:
- Develop the soft skills necessary to either work in a management role in the industry or network and meet with potential investors in your own business
- Navigate and complete the license application process in Massachusetts
- Meet with government officials and community groups to educate about your project
- Put together a basic business plan
- Hire a team
- Evaluate the considerations required to get started with operating a license to cultivate, manufacture or sell at retail
Bob Mayerson is a senior Executive with Patriot Care and its parent company Columbia Care, and has worked for both companies for over 5 years. Bob is one of the founders of Patriot Care, which operates 3 medical marijuana dispensaries in Greenfield, Lowell and Boston and a cultivation/manufacturing facility in Lowell. Prior to that, Bob had more than 30 years of domestic and international experience increasing enterprise productivity in consumer products, retail and other industries. Bob previously served as an executive with PepsiCo, as Treasurer of Staples and as President and Chief Operating Officer of Eastern Mountain Sports. Bob has a BA from Hampshire College and an MBA from the University of Massachusetts in Amherst.
Dennis Kunian has worked for Patriot Care and its parent company Columbia Care for 5 years in the area of Community and Government Relations. Dennis has over 40 years of experience in the advertising/marketing business representing Fortune 500 companies such as UPS, Target and others. Since 1996, Dennis has specialized in crisis PR for both private and public companies including UPS, Tyco and various branches of the military. Dennis has a BA from Ohio Wesleyan and a Masters in Communications from Boston University. Dennis has maintained his military affiliation since 1966.
Daniel J. Delaney is the founder and principal of the Delaney Policy Group, specializing in public health, health care, community development and grass-roots/grass-tips advocacy and strategic engagement. Prior to launching his own firm, Daniel served for 5 years at the Massachusetts Department of Public Health in the roles of Director of Strategic Planning and Director of Intergovernmental Relations and Legislative where he oversaw legislative affairs and strategic policy development. He also held key positions on the Joint Committee on Public Health as research director and chief of staff, as well as director of multicultural health policy at Health Care for All. Daniel holds a bachelor’s degree in political science and a certificate in Afro-American Studies from Princeton University. He has a Master of Arts Degree in Politics from the New School of Social Research as well as a Master’s Degree from the Department of Government at Harvard University.